I first watched Blood + and months later I watched Blood C and I noticed both protagonists were named Saya and used swords, plus the rather obvious word Blood in their title. Other than that I did not connect the two anime until I also watched Blood: The Last Vampire. Once again, there was another Saya with a sword and this time, two of the Blood’s contained creatures called chiropterans. So I did a bit of digging and found the Blood Franchise.
What really confused me though, was that there is very little information regarding this franchise and the connection between the three anime which all have overly obvious connections or overlaps in the story.
The Blood Franchise is made up of:
- Blood: The Last Vampire
- Blood-C: The Last Dark
Blood: The Last Vampire was made in 2000 and was set to take place in 1996. This movie spawned a fifty-episode anime series set in an alternate universe called Blood+ as well as a second anime series, Blood-C. Blood+ was released in 2005 and was set starting in September 2006, which was when the anime’s first run ended. Blood-C was released in 2011 with no actual set date for when the anime took place. Then Blood-C: The Last Dark was released a year later (2012) to follow the events directly after the end of the anime with a six-month gap.
Connections and Differences
FYI: Reading the below may lead to some spoilers, some minor, some not so minor. You have been warned (^^,)
In all three series, the main character is female and is named Saya. She wields a sword and is the only one capable of killing certain creatures. The three Saya’s all have black hair.
- Saya – no surname is given for Blood: The Last Vampire
- Saya Otonashi – Blood +
- Saya Kisaragi – Blood C
Blood: The Last Vampire and Blood+
- Both series had David, an agent working for an organization called the Red Shield. In Blood+ he is given more information and background story.
- Both Saya’s hunt creatures called chiropterans.
Blood+ and Blood C
- Both Saya’s experience an eye change. When their eyes change, they get a boost in power and agility. They also have crazy healing abilities, which is why they can move around after their fights.
- Their Blood is special. In Blood+ Saya’s blood is the only thing that can kill the chiropterans. In Blood C, Saya’s blood helps control Elder Bairns.
- They both have a clear ‘bad guy’.
- A lot of beloved characters and side characters die.
- Both Saya’s require blood to survive.
Blood C had the bigger differences for the franchise. Instead of fighting creatures called chiropterans she battles creatures called Elder Bairns. Her blood did not create Elder Bairns but it was used to somewhat control them. There was no Red Shield but there are other organisations.
Have you watched any of the Blood anime in this franchise? Have you noticed any other connections in this Franchise? I have only mentioned the most obvious connections. (^^,) I would love to know your thoughts on the whole Blood Franchise.