Firstly I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who asked me a question. Some of your questions really had me stumped and others had me questioning the way I view things.
The whole Q&A came about as a suggestion to help me celebrate a milestone I had been aiming for. This was then combined with a giveaway which helped generate some interesting questions. I am rather happy that I received questions for both entry and general curiosity.
This was originally intended to be a video post but due to internet connection issues I have to postpone the upload. So in the mean time, here are the answers to most of your questions! I hope you enjoy them.
Q & A
How has anime influenced your life in both positive and negative ways?
- There have been a lot of positive influences for me with regard to anime. It led to some really interesting and amazing friendships. It also led to the creation of this blog which gave me a place to voice my thoughts and share my passions. As for negatively, I probably dedicate a tad too much of my time towards it.
How many anime have you watched?
- A lot. I am not sure of the number, I have never really been one to count. But I have been watching anime for over 13 years now.
Which anime do you hate the most?
- Hate is such a strong word but if I had to pick one it would be Bokura ga Ita (We Were There). Not so much that I hate it, more that I had expected so much more from it and all the MC did was complain and cry and there was very little development. So it is def an anime that really disappointed me.
If you were to be an anime character which would you be?
- All of the epic side characters. Yea, I have never really thought about this before.
How would you spend your afternoon?
- Ideally with a lot of anime, manga, snackage and in bed.
What was your first anime and how old were you when you watched it?
- My first anime would have either been Pokemon, Dragonball or Yu-Gi-Oh. I can’t remember which of these aired first. I would have been around 6 or 7 at the time, I would watch it as the 5pm cartoon on the TV at the aftercare.
- My first conscious anime would be Bleach or Angelic Layer at around 11 or 12 years of age.
Who is your biggest anime crush?
- Now you have me thinking. Uhm, maybe Gray from Fairy Tail or Takumi Usui from Maid-Sama, or Undertaker from Black Butler or Toshiro from Bleach. Who I have the biggest crush on depends on the day and what anime I watched most recently.
How has anime changed you?
- I am not sure if it really has changed me since I have grown up watching anime. Rather it has helped me through some tough times and led to amazing friendships.
What are your other hobbies?
- Walking, writing, baking, cooking, learning and more…
What is the trope you love the most?
- Looking for a person or the love triangle
Do you cosplay and if so, Who’s your favourite character to cosplay? If not, who would you like to cosplay one day?
- I do not cosplay but I have cosplayed as Misty once and I do have a tail I made that I wear to conventions. I would love to one day cosplay as Shiro from Deadman Wonderland but I doubt I have the courage to do so.
Which do you prefer subbed or dubbed?
- Depends. I am not one or the other. I like watching both. When I am cooking, exercising or doing something else, dub allows me the freedom to divide my attention. Sub is great for when I just want to watch anime and not fight to hear what I am watching. I live in a loud home. Plus sub is easier for me while I follow along with new releases.
What do you think about live actions of anime?
- Some are cute and some should never have ever been done. As long as it follows the actual plot and does not take too many creative liberties and for the love of all things anime, live actions should never be made ‘western’.
What was the worst/saddest anime ending you’ve ever seen?
- The worst anime ending for me personally would be a cliffhanger. I know that’s not quite what you meant but yeah that’s the best I can do.
My friends and I have had this argument for years, I just want to know your answer. In your opinion what are your “BIG 5” (top 5) anime in existence and why them. 1 being the highest.
- Hmm for me the big five are:
- 5 – Bleach 4 – Fairy Tail 3 – Dragon Ball series 2- Naruto 1- One Piece
- These are not my top five anime nor are they in the order of my personal preference. Instead, I listed the five anime I believe are the ‘big 5’ according to current popularity. Bleach I had to include because well, I am biased.
Which anime world would you love to live in?
- Uhm, none of them. If I could hop from one to another, then I have a list, but a single anime?
Who’s your best girl in Re:Zero and why is it Rem?
- I have yet to see Re:Zero. So please explain why Rem is best girl.
What comedy anime do you like most and would you recommend?
- At the moment I am loving wotaku so a def recommendation for it. One Punch Man is also good as well as Noragami, The Seven Deadly Sins etc…
If you could get a plushy of anything, what would it be?
- At the moment I am trying to find a Kon plushie. Yet a plushie of anything I would probably ask for any Studio Ghibli (side/cute) character. Although I do have 3 Totoro plushies of different sizes and I am still seeking more…so yeah…
What type of anime genre do you mainly follow and watch, and why do you watch it?
- Ah I tend to watch almost any genre. I go according to my mood. So if I am feeling lovey I will watch a romance but if I am in the mood for a good laugh I shall go for a comedy or if I want to smile I shall watch something with a heavy emphasis on friendship. Then there are the horrors I will watch between. I also enjoy anime that make me think.
What is your favourite Anime genre?
- This is mood dependent. I don’t have a particular genre, rather I watch what I am in the mood for and switch and change as I go along.
How would you define Mecha anime?
- An anime where the main character either turns into or controls a machine or robot to defeat their enemy or overcome a difficulty.
Who is your favourite characters from One Piece? Mine is Franky.
- Of the crew, my favourite is Sanji, followed by Nami. Outside the crew, it would be Law.
What is your top 5 favourite anime?
- I do not have a top 5 due to my indecisive nature. Instead, I have anime that I will watch time and again. This list far exceeds five.
Did ya know without Hitler there would probably have been no anime?
- Nope, please explain.
When did you realise your passion for anime and how did you begin to pursue it?
- I have always had an obsession and passion for animation. So for me, anime was a natural next step. There was no conscious decision of I shall now watch anime. It just happened all naturally.
Do You watch Tokyo Ghoul RE?
- Yes I have and I am now waiting for the next season.
What was the first anime you watched that got you into anime?
- The first anime that got me into anime probably was not a single anime. Rather the adult-like plot lines and amusing characters of anime. However, the first anime I was obsessed with would have been Bleach.
How does anime affect you the most?
- My time. I never seem to have enough time to really enjoy it as I would like. Anime is a big part of my life and that just progressed into sharing my passion in the form of a blog which then overflowed into the social media domain and here I am today.
Where are you from?
- I was born and raised in South Africa. I am still in sunny SA to this day. To be more specific I am currently based in Gauteng.
What’s your point of view on the different levels of super saiyan in Dragonball (as a whole) so far and what’s your favourite transformation?
- I sadly have only seen up until Z of the franchise. So for all of the different levels I don’t really have an opinion other than knowing that there are many different levels.
Wow, I finally managed to answer all those questions twice!
I would also like to say a big congrats to Jesse Coetzee for winning the two weekend passes to ICON Comic and Gaming Convention!